Blue Skies Forever: Pinto Dispatch: KRABI, THAILAND

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Pinto Dispatch: KRABI, THAILAND

Hot off the wire at the blue skies forever news room: the first dispatch from Southeast Asia Bureau Correspondent Pinto...



4 February 2005
KRABI, Thailand--

11 am: I switch lodgings from an expensive, impersonal
hotel in the middle of town to a cheap, friendly
guesthouse by the river.

2 pm: I buy a little radio. Later tonight I will
drink some nasty rice liquor and listen to hard rock
Thai-style. I am extremely pleased with the purchase.

3 pm: After drinking a Singha by the river, I spot an
old man collecting plastic bottles along the water's
edge. He approaches me with greetings and a toothless
smile. I offer him my empty beer can, but he refuses.
He wears a full-brimmed cap with "MONKEY BUSINESS"
written at crazy angles all over it. I tell him I
like his hat. He points towards the river and makes a
swimming gesture. I express confusion. He points to
a portly lady behind me who is also picking up garbage
and he gives me the thumbs up. I can do nothing but
agree with him. He leaves.

5 pm: It's hot and humid here. I take a shower, lie
down, and wait for dusk.

7 pm: Three city blocks are blocked off. They are
full of blue, white, and red plastic chairs, giant
projection screens and speakers. More people stand
along the periphery than sit in the chairs that have
been so neatly arranged in rows facing a huge stage.
Though I can't understand the language booming from
the speakers, I quickly comprehend what is playing on
the huge screens: It is a political ad. I buy some
tiny pig-in-a-blanket looking things from a street
vendor, walk towards the stage, and sit down. Two
huge banners behind the stage display the candidates
for seat, or district, or something number 9. I see
two microphones on stage and think that maybe there
will be a debate. I realize that I can't understand
Thai, but I also realize that I have nothing better to
do.

7:30 pm: Somebody starts speaking. A woman sits in
front of me and offers me a fried banana. I take one
although it is very hot. Bananas seem to lose their
flavor when cooked.


fried banana

8 pm: The third speaker is at it now. I get bored,
say goodbye to the fried banana woman, and leave. I
buy the aforementioned rice liquor and head back to my
room and new radio.

Over and out,
P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home